Monday, September 28, 2009

Nothing Really

I haven't blogged in a while, although I have wanted to blog several times in the past few weeks and I could never come up with anything good. I still can't...but here are a few things I guess I could share.

On Saturday Ronnie and I went to San Francisco for a day of island hopping. First, we took a ferry to Angel Island and rode a tram around that explained all the different uses of the island over the years. I was most interested in its use as an immigration station for people arriving from across the Pacific (the "Ellis Island" of the West). We didn't get to explore the grounds there during the tram tour, but I would like to get a book from the library and read more about it, especially if I could find a book that has all the poetry recorded. When the state park people were deciding whether to tear down or restore the buildings, they discovered Chinese markings hidden under layers of peeling paint in the men's dormitories. After bringing in a translator, they found that men had written their hopes, dreams, fears, and frustrations about coming to America in beautiful poetic form.

Then Ronnie and I took a ferry from Angel Island to Alcatraz Island. We took an audio tour of the cell block. The most interesting parts were when they described some of the attempted breakouts. We thought that we would implement some of the prison rules into our own house:
  • You are entitled to food, clothing, shelter, and medical attention. Anything else that you get is a privilege.
  • You are required to work at whatever you are told to do.
  • Loud talking, shouting, whistling, singing, or other unnecessary noises are not permitted.
  • Meals are served three times a day in the dining room. Do not exceed the ration. Do not waste food.

We got back from San Francisco just in time for me to head over to the church for the Relief Society broadcast. I loved it, and it got me even more excited for General Conference next week!

In other news, I look like a swallowed a bowling ball.

That's all I got.

1 Comments:

Blogger Kim said...

love it!! also, need pictures!!

8:15 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home