Saturday, August 01, 2009

Annual Summer Book Blog

I just finished reading Lonesome Dove. It was a great book. One way I can tell it was a great book is because I have so much to say about it...I kind of want to pretend I have to write a paper on it, and go through the process of sorting out a thesis, dissecting McMurtry's writing, crafting an argument, and devising an outline. Then, of course, I would have to stay up all night writing and revising to be ready to "turn in" on the due date the next morning. Ronnie thinks I should actually write about it, and maybe I will access some of my writing process just for fun. But mostly I want to talk over my ideas with him (and anyone else who has read the book).

It was on the book list that blogged three years ago. It appears that each summer I have written a post about summer reading, and two of those summers included reading lists. I have to admit that I am slightly haunted by those book lists. I feel a strange responsibility--to myself and anyone who has ever read my blog--to finish them. Here is the sum of what's left to read:

Team of Rivals
Alice in Wonderland
The Count of Monte Cristo
As I Lay Dying
Robinson Crusoe
The Perfect Storm
Eats, Shoots and Leaves
Salt: A World History

Wicked was also on my list, and although I didn't finish it, I took it off. I started reading it and thought it was a bad combination of trashy, boring, bad writing. Plus I am so enamored by the musical that the disappointment was too much to bare.

Anyway, I don't like to publish book lists anymore. I like to have the freedom to read what I want to read, when I want to read it, and not feel beholden to anyone. I much prefer to keep a list of books I've already read. That way, when I look at the list I feel a sense of accomplishment instead of inadequacy.

4 Comments:

Blogger Russ said...

You and Slarm should both sign up for Goodreads. It's a good way to track what you've read and how well you liked it (and also so I can steal some good recommnedations). I am 900 pages in to Atlas Shrugged right now.

12:18 PM

 
Blogger Stefani said...

I'm tempted to say that Atlas Shrugged is on my to-read book list...but then I might feel that nagging sense of obligation again... so I will non-committingly respond that I'm interested in that book.

Also: I signed up on Goodreads, but I'm not sure I can handle it. So many books, so little time.

9:46 PM

 
Blogger Kim said...

Stef. It seems as if your ONLY blog posts are about reading. We know you are genius and love to read, but stop rubbing it in our faces already! PS. My mom gave Devin Lonesome Dove the dvd for his birthday and it still has the plastic wrapping around it if that tells you anything. We can't bear the thought of wasting 6 hours to watch it.

9:07 PM

 
Blogger Stefani said...

Kim, I don't have a job, a tv, a dog, and husband and my one good friend have been out of town. What am I supposed to do all day?

3:46 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home